Good morning all,
As we awaken to a new day, I give thanks for the ways St. Andrew’s is able to remain a place of hospitality, encounter and care in the community. Yesterday was a surprisingly busy day despite the rain in the morning and changing COVID situation.
Here are some of the gifts:
- Twenty-nine people plus several volunteers came to be part of community during the day. We served food outside in the courtyard and many received fresh food to take with them. Some of these folk represent families who will benefit from the extra food support.
- Even though the setting had changed and the day was cool, it was lovely to see people interacting in the courtyard – exchanging names, sharing stories, building connections amidst the distance and masking.
- St. Peter’s Anglican Church brought items from their pantry––a gesture of support for our service which is able to remain open.
- Because of the lockdown, we’ve been able to unstuff closets, deep clean cupboards and reset spaces. This will be our project over these days!
- Mamma Carmela’s Café donated the pasta, sauce and pizzas they will not be able to use. Volunteers made pasta take away packs which we will distribute. We will heat up the pizza and serve it tomorrow and Friday.
- Thirty people came for the Mary’s Kitchen Tuesday Community Meal in the evening. We served soup and BBQ with potato bake in a big circle in the courtyard. Though everything was in a take away container, everyone stayed to eat affirming for us the importance of community.
- We gave away five sleeping bags to Mary’s guests. We are pleased to have these donations for such a time as this. The gifts went out with our prayers for safety and comfort.
I pray you are all as well as can be in body, mind and spirit. Please don’t hesitate to ring if you are in need of a listening ear or if you wonder how you might help support the essential services we are offering at this time.
Rev. Christine Gilbert Minister of the Word St Andrew's by the Sea Uniting Church 92 Jetty Road, Glenelg SA 5045 P: (08) 8295 1771 E: [email protected]